Are Daisies Toxic to Cats?
Another common flower is the daisy. They are a beautiful flower and are common both indoors and out. They are like roses as they are great to give to people as a bouquet or to put in a vase. This means they are in a readily available area around your house and your cat has easy access to them.
Why might this be a problem? Are daisies toxic to cats? Should you watch out for them like lilies or be less cautious like roses or orchids?
All those questions and others will be answered in the post below.
Are daisies toxic to cats?
The daisy is not as toxic to cats as the lily but it can cause harm to your cat. While not easily fatal, daisies can cause a variety of symptoms making life very unpleasant for cats. There are two main chemicals in daisies that cause the majority of symptoms in cats. The first is sesquiterpene which is a strong irritant that causes skin irritation and increased salivation.
The second chemical or toxin in daisies is pyrethrins. Pyrethrins is much like a neurotoxin that affects the cat’s nervous system. This causes a lack of coordination and in heavy doses can cause difficulty breathing and even death. If your cat happens to get into the daisies, it is very important to limit the amount as too much can be fatal.
What are the symptoms of daisy poisoning in cats?
Some of the symptoms have already been discussed but this section will go more in depth on all of them and list some that have not been mentioned. Sesquiterpene is known to cause skin irritation and excessive salivation. The increased saliva can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Both symptoms if they persist can cause severe dehydration.
In severe cases of daisy poisoning, internal bleeding can occur. This is just another indicator of how sick your cat is so keep an eye out for this symptom. There are other chemicals in daisies that can cause allergic reactions in cats and rashes on the skin. This is called dermatitis. Itchy skin can cause cats to scratch and bite themselves to relieve the itch.
One final common symptom of daisy poisoning is loss of coordination or disassociation. Cats may lose dexterity or not walk like they usually do. They might have trouble doing things they could normally do with ease. Their personality might also change which is another indicator that something is wrong. It could also lead to a loss of appetite which if your cats are anything like ours you will notice immediately.
Be on the lookout for all these symptoms above. Get your cat to the vet if they start to experience any of the symptoms mentioned.
What is the treatment and recovery of daisy poisoning?
If you take your cat to the vet, they will give them fluids to increase urination and dilute the toxins from the daisy plant. The fluid treatment will also help with any symptoms of dehydration.
Recovery from daisy poisoning is relatively fast. Once the toxins begin to leave the body or become diluted, symptoms could be gone in less than a week. Some severe cases require a follow up visit to check on the recovery progress and to see if there are any lasting effects of the pyrethrins.
Daisies are a very common flower can be a very good way for you to brighten up house or garden. Just make sure to keep an eye on your cats when they are around daisies. Daisies are not necessarily fatal but they can have severe symptoms that will not be pleasant for you or more specifically your cat.
Make sure you get your cat to your vet if you suspect daisy poisoning. They will be able to treat your cat and get them on the road to recovery quickly. Stay tuned for other posts on what plants are safe or toxic to cats.